A Bit of Background
I haven't been the healthiest of people, my peak health was probably in my mid-twenties, working out at Hart House, University of Toronto, running the occasional 5K race, once a year doing the 24-hour Run for the ROM fundraiser (approx. 5-6 times running 5K over a 24 hour period).
Prior to getting engaged in 1987 (28 years old), I took a solo trip to Greece for 6 weeks (my friend bailed on me at the last moment so I went alone). I did a lot of walking on the trip and was pretty fit.
I love my wife Laurel and three boys! But for some reason, I wasn't taking as good care of myself. With each baby, I had "sympathetic weight gain" with Laurel. She took it off, I didn't. My sedentary job didn't help but mostly it was laziness and enjoying junk food!
In the 90's (I was mid-thirties), it started to fall apart:
- High blood pressure -> meds
- Thyroid over-active -> kill it off with radiation and take supplements for life
- Cholesterol is high -> meds
- 2003 - Blood sugar (A1C) too high -> Type 2 Diabetes - meds and diet
- 2009 - A1C climbing -> insulin
- Cholesterol climbing -> more meds (which I believe worsened the insulin)
- A1C still too high -> more insulin
Something had to change!
In Hawaii, look at that belly!
Thar she blows!
Next: Phase 1 - Weight Loss


No comments:
Post a Comment